Changing your Jeep"s oil is a pretty simple job the anyone have the right to do at residence in the driveway. Act it you yourself not just saves friend a few bucks, yet gives you a possibility to visually inspect other things on her Jeep at the very same time. And also when you carry out it yourself, you have the right to rest easy learning the job is done right and also with the specific parts or fluids of her choosing. Depending upon your Jeep, even if it is you"ve installed a lifted supsension or not, you may even be able to tackle this job without any kind of jacks and also jack was standing or driveway ramps. And is some instances you can also do this project without raising your Jeep even if the suspension is completely stock. I"ll be utilizing a lift, simply to make the project of taking pictures easier, but really every you need for this job is a couple of hand tools.
You are watching: 2004 jeep grand cherokee oil capacity
What You will Need
6 quarts of 5W-30 (Preferred) or 10W-30 (depending on the temperature variety anticipated before your following oil change) Ratchet13mm SocketOil Filter SocketDrain PanShop Towels / record Towels--- not crucial - but advantageous ---Rubber GlovesFunnel
Before working on her Jeep, constantly park top top a level surface, put it in park and collection the parking break. It"s always a great idea to chock the wheel to it is in extra safe whenever working under your Jeep.
Before beginning to change the oil, operation the engine for a few minutes to warm the engine oil. This will aid the oil flow easier and quicker.
According to the owner"s manual, 5W-30 is the wanted oil because that both the 4.7L and the 4.7L High output engines and is finest for eco-friendly operating temperatures listed below 100ºF. If friend live in one area that sees external temperatures end 100ºF then you must use 10W-30.
1. Remove the oil filler cap to help allow all the oil to drain from the engine better.
2. Remove the oil filler baffle from inside the oil filler neck.
3. Using a 13mm socket, eliminate the drainpipe bolt indigenous the bottom the the oil pan.
4. Allow the oil to drain into a pan. Keep some paper towels nearby by to clean up any spills or drips and also to wipe off any type of oil that may splash onto your exhaust. After ~ the oil has actually finished draining, change the drain bolt and torque to 25 ft lbs. (Hand tightening works perfectly fine for the drainpipe bolt if friend don"t have a speak wrench.)
5. Using her oil filter wrench, remove the old oil filter.
The Mopar oil filter illustrates the actions for installing your new oil filter.
6. Clean and inspect the oil filter sealing surface ar to be certain there"s no corrosion or debris the may reason a bad seal ~ above the brand-new filter.
7. Lubricate the seal on your brand-new oil filter with a few drops that clean motor oil.
8. Install the brand-new filter on come the engine block. Hand tighten the filter.
9. Using one oil filter wrench, tighten the filter 1 an ext revolution past hand tight.
10. Using a funnel, refill the engine through oil. The 4.7L engine calls for 6 Quarts the oil. If you"re making use of a 5 Quart jug, don"t forget to include one additional quart.
11. Clean off and re-install the oil filler baffle that you removed earlier.
12. Clean turn off the oil cap, climate lubricate the oil seal on the cap v a couple of drops the clean engine oil. This will assist make removing her oil cap during your next oil readjust much easier.
See more: How Long Does A Wasp Live Without Food ? How Long Does It Take A Wasp To Die Indoors
13. The overhead Electronic automobile Information facility or EVIC for brief keeps track of when it"s time to finish an oil change. Be certain to reset the company interval ~ completing your oil readjust so you"ll be reminded once it"s time to change it again. Through the Jeep in park (the crucial can be in the on position with or without the engine running) push the STEP button until the company message shows up on screen. Then press and also hold the RESET switch for a few seconds. The EVIC will certainly beep and also reset. The EVIC have the right to be programmed to different service intervals relying on your driving actions by using the MENU button when the Jeep is in park.